Halloween – What Wine and With Who?
Ok, you wake up and you had a year to think about it; but here it is; the same as last year… the dreaded “w-4” question. JustJess and my “w-4” answers. Here we go!
What Wine and With Who?
Such a cheery Halloween partner! Yes that’s me having a slice of pizza in the East Village, NYC with one of my “foodie” buddies!
As for the What Wine?
If you’re hosting a Halloween get together, punch simply isn’t going to do it when it comes to serving your guests.
Here is a look at some of the best Halloween wines, beginning with Pure Riesling from Riesling Asylum by Bonny-Doon Vineyards. This is a great dry style Riesling with a surprising amount of depth and three flavors to choose from, lime, apricot and peach.
If you’re looking for fine wines with a devilish legend attached to them, try wines from the Concha y Toro Winery, which is in Chile. The Cabernet features a truly lovely blood red hue and has a velvety texture with a spicy currant flavor. These wines are truly seductive and will only run you $10 for the bottle.
Bull’s Blood or Egri Bikavér is the number one wine from Hungary, despite being relatively difficult to come by. It is robust and full bodied, and is a red wine with plenty of berry flavor. I bet you can’t wait to tell your guests they’re drinking bull’s blood, can you? Featuring at least one bottle of this complex and balanced wine should not be difficult, as it will only run you about $6 dollars.
An excellent standby is Vampire Wines, which literally hail from Transylvania. Vampire Wines produce a Pinot Grigio, Merlot, Chardonnay, Cabernet Sauvignon and a Pinot Noir. Vampire Wines can be found for about $7 dollars a bottle, and they make a wonderful addition to any spooky Halloween festivities.
Spooky Wines for Halloween
Fruit punch simply won’t do as the drink of choice at your next Halloween get-together. If you want to impress your guests and have a truly memorable Halloween bash, choosing the right spooky wines is going to go a long way.
Here are some great spooky wine choices to have on hand for your next bone-chilling Halloween gathering:
* Bonny-Doon Vineyards offers Riesling Asylum, which features three different wines to choose from. These are excellent dry Riesling varieties with a surprising amount of depth and three delicious flavors, peach, apricot and lime. This is a wine that can really stand on its own.
* Casillero del Diablo is a Cabernet Sauvignon offered by the winery known as Concha y Toro, a Chilean winery that offers a series of different wines with a devilish legend attached. This cabernet has a truly wonderful blood red hue to it, and the flavor is spicy currants with a velvety texture that are wonderfully seductive. This wine is elegant and concentrated, and only runs for $10 per bottle.
* Eye of the Toad is a dry Pinot Noir in rose style, and it comes from Toad Hollow Vineyards. This is an excellent example of what a Rose wine is supposed to be like, as it is light without being overly sweet. The flavors of strawberry definitely come through, making this an excellent pairing when eating finger foods with a spicy note. This is another excellent deal as it will only run you $10 per bottle.
* Bull’s Blood, or Egri Bikavér is the top wine in Hungary, and is a full bodied and robust wine that has deep and enjoyable berry flavors. It is made from three different varieties of wine. Most producers of Bull’s Blood use Kékfrankos because it is sturdy and has a nice acidity. Other varieties that are used include Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot. The real star in this blend is the Kadarka grape, a spicy grape capable of producing balanced tannins as well as complex flavors. This is a bargain wine at only $6 per bottle, so it is well worth picking up a couple of bottles and keeping them on hand for your special event.
* Another excellent standby wine is anything from Vampire Wines, which literally come from Transylvania. Vampire Wines produces a Pinot Grigio, a Merlot, a Cabetnet Sauvignon, a Chardonnay and a Pinot Noir. These unique bottles of Transylvanian wine can generally be found for $7 per bottle, making them an excellent addition to your upcoming Halloween festivities. These are wines that you can truly sink your teeth into as they have gorgeous colors, luscious aromas and mature tastes that most of your guests are sure to appreciate.. Most varieties can be found at your local Cost Plus World Market.
Just Remember – Wine is just a conversation waiting to happen. Join me here every week, and learn secrets to loving wine.
Have a great Halloween and whats your Halloween w-4?