JustJess and the Secret of Picking Christmas Wine
Who do you have helping you pick out the perfect wines for your Christmas Dinner? I’ve got special help as you can see here! So let me pass along some of my helpers hidden wine secrets.
Pairing Wine with Christmas Dinner
The key to choosing the right wine for any holiday meal is to select a wine that complements the meal that you are serving, rather than contrasting it. The wine selections that you make should mesh well with the meal options that you have chosen. For this reason, planning your meal ahead of time is the best way to ensure that you make the right wine selections.
Christmas meals happen to be a well suited time for experimenting with new wine flavors, because different party guests will have unique tastes and preferences when it comes to whites, reds and other specialty wines. Here is a look at some of the more versatile white and red wine varieties that are well suited for a Christmas dinner party. This is not a strict guide to pairing wine with Christmas meals, but it should steer your own choices in the right direction.
When serving ham with Christmas dinner,
– Some examples of white wines that are worth sharing include Gewurztraminer and Riesling, as both are excellent choices.
– Some examples of red wines that are worth sharing include Beaujolais Nouveau, Zinfandel, Pinot Noir or Tempranillo.
When serving turkey with Christmas dinner,
– Some examples of white wines that are worth sharing include Gewurztraminer, Riesling, Sauvignon Blanc or Viognier.
– Some examples of red wines that are worth sharing include Beaujolais Nouveau, Syrah or Shiraz, Zinfandel or Pinot Noir.
When serving goose with Christmas dinner,
– Some examples of white wines that are worth sharing include Sauvignon Blanc or Chardonnay.
– Some examples of red wines that are worth sharing include Tempranillo, Zinfandel or Red Burgundy.
For non-traditional meal choices such as serving prime rib with Christmas dinner,
– White wines tend to have difficulty holding up when it comes to the flavors found in red meat dishes.
– Do not be afraid to experiment with different red wine varietals.
– Some examples of red wines that are worth sharing include Tempranillo, Shiraz, Cabernet Sauvignon and Zinfandel.
If you are unsure about the type of wine to use when hosting a Christmas dinner party, it would benefit you to choose a couple of different selections. With several wines to choose from, your guests will be able to select what suits their tastes and your guests are much more likely to all be satisfied with the selection. Choosing a single bottle of wine that suits all tastes is not easy, after all. When you select several unique varietals and give your guests a choice, the dinner party will surely be enjoyed all around.
There’s no right or wrong way to pair wine with a Christmas meal as long as everyone enjoys themselves!
And remember Wine is Just a Conversation waiting to happen”. Join JustJess on “WineChannelTV.tv” each week!