Thanksgiving Wines That Work
Did you know? John Madden,former NFL Coach and Fox TV Broadcaster, popularized the turducken in America when on air during a football game. While announcing the game for CBS, he presented a turducken to the viewers, then began carving it with his bare hands. Later he promoted it again on Fox by awarding a turducken to players on the winning team for the Thanksgiving Bowl. My Thanksgiving wines that work are great for traditional and fun thanksgiving dinners
What is a turducken? It’s a Turkey! It’s a Duck! It’s a Chicken! Or rather, its a hybrid meat you’ll want to eat! Turducken is a chicken stuffed inside a duck stuffed inside a turkey. And for all your palates, we’ve got the right combination of wines from New Zealand pair with a wide array of Thanksgiving treats. Enjoy the video and here are my 3 top picks for a Turducken Thanksgiving:
Seresin Leah Pinot Noir $36
- Winemaker Clive Dougall did a fantastic job making this feminine, supple light bodied pinot noir .
- The fruit used in this comes from 3 sites of the Seresin Estate in Marlborough NZ .The clay rich hillside Raupo Creek vineyard, Tatou vineyard and the Home vineyard.
Savory, spicy and earthy aromas with plum, red berry, cherry and herbal earthy notes. The palate is focused and concentrated with soft tannins , hints of the dark red berry and truffle with a lingering finish, making this a great match to earthiness of the duck in the dish!
FUN NOTE- The handprint on the bottle represents Seresin’s philosophy to work traditionally with natural elements and elicit a true Marlborough character in their wines by using organic – no chemicals used/only natural compost, and biodynamic methods: planting, harvesting according to lunar cycles; burying cow manure in a cow’s horn over the winter; sees the vineyard as an ecological whole: not just rows of grapevines, but the soil beneath them;an organism in its own right.
Kumeu River Chardonnay $45-55 online
- Beyond Sauvignon blanc, NZ has fantastic cool climate chardonnays , that are very refined!
- Burgundian in style, not big like Australia and US!
- ·Kumeu is located in the North Island, near Auckland and Comes from Winemaker and MW Michael Brajockvich. His family founded the vineyard in 1944 and migrated from Croatia.
- Voted consistently one of New Zealand’s best Chardonnay’s!
- Beat out white burgundies in taste off!·
- The Estate Chardonnay is a blend of six vineyards in the Kumeu region, the same six vineyards each year, giving this wine great complexity and consistency of character.All of the grapes are harvested by hand.
- It is produced exclusively in Burgundy-style small oak barrels.
- Filled with juicy citrus zest , beautiful peach and hazelnut aromas, along with a crisp mineral finish and a rich silky texture from 100% malolactic fermentation; a winemaking process used to reduce acidity- creating rounder fuller creamy mouth-feel!
Neudorf Moutere Riesling $29.90 online
- Cool Climate Riesling comes from South Island of Nelson, an area of artists, artisans and very stylish wines.
- Tim and Judy Finn first planted here in 1978. This Riesling is from their Moutere hillside vineyards and the mineral note is a reflection of the terroir .
- Gorgeous vineyard, looks as though you’re on top of the world!
- Ripe floral, chalky nose, with citrus lemon lime, grapefruit and orange blossom flavors, like a german kabinett Riesling- hint sweetness and off dry. ·
- The high acid from the cool climate is nicely offset with just a hint of sweetness, and there’s no heaviness here at all.
- You can even Drink this Riesling before dinner as an apertifi, or any dish W/a squeeze of lemon!
Side note, 2008 was a great vintage for New Zealand Wines.
Cheers and be sure to follow all of your wine lifestyle happenings on Wine Channel TV.